Top 5 Things to Consider When Looking for a New Role in 2020
Friday, January 31, 2020
Posted by: Abbey Kwiat
Justin Stull, Senior Technical Recruiter, CSC Corptax
When people find out I’m a recruiter, I usually get one of two reactions: “Can you get me a job?” or “what should I do to find a new job?” While everyone’s situation is different, there’s certain advice that usually holds true for anyone looking to make a career move. Since the start of a new year is often the time of new beginnings, I wanted to share a few ideas to consider in your search.
1. Take the time to self-reflect and determine what you really want out of your career and where you want to go. With this in mind, be genuine when you interview and make sure the organization will help drive you towards your end goals.
2. Keep your communication and interview skills sharp, no matter what the medium. The current hiring process involves multiple interviews (over the phone, in-person, or virtually), often with several individuals, and sometimes even a few different teams. Be prepared to tackle questions from all sides, but make sure to interview the company as well and ask about what’s important to you.
3. With the amount of time we all spend at work, it’s critical to consider company culture when applying. Find out what it’s like from the company’s careers site, social media pages, and current employees.
4. Stay current on the latest technology. Nowadays, technology touches almost every role, not just those in technology positions. And if you don’t have all the latest skills, don’t worry. Look for an employer who will invest in your growth and provide you with the time and resources to complete ongoing learning. Even taking a refresher class on Excel or the MS Office Suite could be a boost to your technology toolkit.
5. In our demanding world, flexibility is key. Many candidates are juggling a family, their career, social life, hobbies, and maybe even a passion project or side hustle. Seek out an employer who values work-life balance, is willing to work with you, and offers perks such as remote working or flexible hours.